What are dust mites?
Dust mites are tiny bugs you cannot see that live in cloth or carpet.
Things that will help the most:
- Encase your mattress and pillow in a special dust-mite proof cover. Consider dust-mite proof bedding/blankets as well.
- Wash the sheets and blankets on your bed each week in water hotter than 130°F to kill the mites. Cooler water used with detergent and bleach can also be effective.
Other things that can help:
- Reduce the indoor humidity to or below 60%, ideally 30-50%. Dehumidifiers or central air conditioners can do this. Clean dehumidifiers regularly.
- Try not to sleep or lie on cloth covered cushions or furniture.
- Remove carpets from your bedroom and those laid on concrete, if you can.
- Keep stuffed toys out of the bed, or wash the toys weekly in hot water or in cooler water with detergent and bleach. Placing toys weekly in a dryer or freezer may help. Prolonged exposure to dry heat or freezing can kill mites but does not remove the allergen.